Log in if you have an account
By creating an account with our store, you will be able to move through the checkout process faster, store multiple addresses, view and track your orders in your account, and more.Create an account
A lovely Platypus with VO, Soma and SimWorks
Open images in a new tab to see all the film grain
Our first Rivendell build for a client is a refined and elegant city bike with parts built to last. When Carol approached us to get herself a new bike, we had just received our first shipment of frames from the legendary Rivendell Bicycle Works based out of Walnut Creek, California. After some hesitation for our own Rachel frame (and of course we would’ve been just as happy), it only took Carol seeing photos of the Platypus to make her mind up.
We were very happy to build her an honest-to-younameit Riv with classic and robust parts so she can go ride around the Upper Canada Village out there in Morristown, Ontario in all her comfortable glory. Here’s how we built it up:
- Rivendell Bicycle Works Platypus frame and fork in Lime-olive, 50cm.
- FSA Duron X 1” headset (those are actually included with the frame).
- Vélo Orange Grand Cru face-plate quill stem.
- Vélo Orange Curvy Bar.
- Brooks Slender leather grips.
- Shimano BL-R780 brake levers.
- Shimano BR-T4000 V-brake calipers.
- Kalloy 26.8 seatpost (also included with the frame).
- Brooks B17s saddle
- Soma Weymouth 650b rims laced on Shimano Alivio hubs.
- Sim Works The Homage tires in 650b.
- Narrow-wide Bassi crank.
- Sim Works Bubbly pedals.
- Vélo Orange fenders.
- Soma Champs-Élysées front rack.
- Wald 137 basket.
Photos taken on the always lovely Portra 400 film by the always lovely Fabien