Log in if you have an account
By creating an account with our store, you will be able to move through the checkout process faster, store multiple addresses, view and track your orders in your account, and more.Create an account
The Piolet is VO's bikepacking and rough-road riding frame. It's designed for off-road touring, including dirt and gravel roads, double track, and single track. It's built to be sturdy, simple, and very capable. As with their other frames it's double butted chromoly steel. The fork is triple butted for reduced weight and extra strength. The seatstays come together in a cool mono-stay wishbone and compliment the segmented fork. The frameset is covered in bosses for easily mounting any racks, water-bottles, gear cages, and even fenders. It's happily set up in bikepacking fashion or as a traditional rack and bag tourer!
The Piolet handles similarly to a XC mountain bike, but slightly more in the touring direction. Feels natural with drop bars or flat bars. Non-suspension corrected fork handles predictably with or without a load!
Does it sound like our Bassi Hog's Back? Absolutely, since both frames are designed for roughly the same kind of riding. Convergent evolution, if you will. What are the differences? VO have a more experimental aesthetic, whereas Bassi really likes traditional looks. The Hog's Back's front end is longer and is designed for swept-back bars, and the bottom bracket is higher. There are some differences in parts compatibility, which might be important if you already have parts on hand, notably for the BB and cranks. You can push the tire size on the Piolet a little bit further, which is useful with knobbies.
The Small are designed around 26 x 2.4" tires. M, L, and XL use 29 x 2.4" or 27.5 x 2.8" tires.
Frame details and features:
- Frameset material: 4130 double butted chrome-moly
- Fork: 1 1/8" threadless
- Wheel Size: 29" & 27.5+ (M, L, XL), 26" (S)
- Tire: 29" x 2.4" or 27.5 x 2.8" (M, L, XL), 26" x 2.4 (S)
- Rear Spacing: 135mm
- Bottom Bracket: English threaded 73mm, mountain cranksets only
- Brakes: 160 - 180mm disc
- Seatpost: 27.2mm
- Front Derailleur Size: 28.6mm, bottom pull/bottom swing
- Water bottle mounts: 3 sets on frame, 2 sets on fork blades
- Fender bosses: seatstay bridge, chainstay bridge, under fork crown
- Dropouts: Vertical with triple eyelets
- Lowrider thru bosses on fork
- 2 sets of seatstay rack eyelets
- Replaceable stainless steel derailleur hanger
- Paint: Deep Metallic Blue
0 stars based on 0 reviews
Add your review
Review Velo Orange Piolet Frameset